Conserving Energy With Different Lighting Alternatives

Conserving Energy

There are a few simple tasks that you can complete to make your household more energy efficient with lighting.

Start monitoring how much energy you are using as indicated on your utility bills. Using less energy helps lower your utility bills.  About 5% of your utility bills goes toward lighting.

Incandescent lights in your house should be replaced with LEDs or CFLs to conserve energy. In the article How Much Do Lights Affect an Electric Bill, Trudy Brunot wrote, “According to the U.S. Energy Information Service, lights represented roughly 14 percent of the average household electric bill in 2010.” Incandescent lights only use 10% of their electricity to produce light, the other 90% is producing heat and waste.

Making the switch to new lighting technologies is a great way to save energy. More energy can be converted to light. When choosing your next light fixtures and light bulbs, choose ones that have earned the ENERGY STAR. These products will be the highest- quality and save the greatest amount of energy. ENERGY.GOV says that changing to ENERGY STAR lighting can save over $75 per year.

LEDs and CFLs

Light emitting diodes (LEDs) and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) are both great energy-efficient lighting choices.  When compared though, the LEDs provide the best benefits.

LED Advantages

-use less electricity
-made with epoxy lenses instead of glass
-more resistant to breakage
-eco-friendlyLEDs with Energy Star
-last 11 years with continual usage- change bulbs less often
-doesn’t burn out, just dims over time
-100% recyclable
-weather resistant- great for outdoor lighting
-can run on a low voltage power supply or solar power
-cost on average about $1 to run for a whole year

CFL AdvantagesCFLs with Energy Star

-use less energy (1/4 less energy than an incandescent bulb)
-same amount of light
-lasts 10x longer than incandescent bulbs
-available in different light colors- warm tones can range from white to yellow
-recyclable after their life span

Energy Efficient Lighting Solutions

Turning off your lights when you are not occupying a room will help you be energy efficient. You can also use dimmers, timers and motion sensors for your lighting. Dimmers are great for very sensitive eyes and for night time so that it is easier to fall asleep. Dimmers create a nice ambiance. Timers make it where lights come on at a specific designated time. Manually select the time you want lights to turn on and off and the sensors will do the work for you. Even when you are not home, having the lights turn on will make it appear you are home. With light sensors, lights will only come on when activity is detected.

Contact Pitt Electric today for all of your energy management needs! We will help you get your home energy efficient with new lighting options!

Sources
https://www.ledluxor.com/top-10-benefits-of-led-lighting
http://budgeting.thenest.com/much-lights-affect-electric-bill-27123.html
https://energy.gov/energysaver/lighting-choices-save-you-money